Mon 22 Jan 2007
Both Maruti and Hyundai have cars in the hatch back segment. The hatch back segment has been an interesting one in India, because compact cars are more suited to our city driving. They are easy to drive/park around and the government too offer tax break in this now to encourage users to buy cars in this segment.
After the success in this segment, to offer a upgraded car in this segment, both Maruti and Hyundai launched a premium hatch car. Lets look at how they both stack up.
Both costs more or less the same, seat 5 people and are new designs.
Maruti Suzuki Swift Advantage
- Better mileage. Although not significantly better mileage but gives higher than the Getz due to the Aluminum engine.
- Swift also has a better pickup.
- Maruti has a wider service network, so people in the small towns may be better off.
- Looks better. Well this is subjective but the general consensus is Swift looks better. Swift is more stylist and Getz is more elegant.
Hyundai Getz Advantage
- Newer engine technology, Swift is said to have a re-engineered esteem engine.
- More leg space and the back seats can be folded to give more space. The back seat is split in 60:40 ratio, so you can fold/drop a part of the seat as needed. No need to fold the entire seat.
- Allows you to adjust the steering wheel. Not a must have feature but useful if you find your steering wheel position odd.
- Gas filled shock absorbers at the rear give better comfort.
- Better interiors, although not great but better looking than the Swift.