Thu 5 Jan 2012
OpenStack is the future of Cloud computing. Founded by NASA and Rackspace it aims to provide a fully scalable open source cloud infrastructure. This can be deployed to build a public cloud or your own private cloud.
Here are the reasons why I believe OpenStack will be successful.
- Its completely Open Source, hence it is continuing to develop at a rapid space. Being open in nature, the project will never die down.
- It is designed to scale up very well.
- Its highly flexible you have a choice of Hypervisers including ESX, Hyper-V, KVM, LXC, QEMU, UML, Xen, and XenServer.
- Over 2000 Developers and 144 companies are behind OpenStack making it an Industry Standard.
- This includes the who’s who of Cloud computing:
- Cloud Vendors: Citrix, Cloud.com, Nebula
- OEMS: Dell, HP, NEC
- Chip makers: Intel and AMD, Broadcom
- Storage: Netapp
- OS Vendors: Canonical (Ubuntu), SUSE
- Telco: NTT Docomo
- Networking vendor: Cisco
- Service Provider: L&T Infotech
Some website stats shared by OpenStack.
- People in over 13,000 cities from over 200 countries visited OpenStack.org in 2011
- Ttotal of 750k+ visits from 430k+ unique visitors.
- The most popular city was Beijing, followed by Seoul, London, and Bangalore
- China was #2 after the U.S. as a source of visitors to openstack.org