Sat 3 May 2014
Thanks you, to all my blog readers.
Today 3rd May 2014, I am celebrating 11 years of blogging! Wow, I too can’t believe it! I still remember, Rajesh Jain with whom I used to work then, encouraged me start a blog. And that’s when it all started. Before that I used to write articles, and found a direct benefit of writing was reading. I ended up reading a lot. When you need to write, you need to read!
“The man who doesn’t read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them”. – Mark Twain
It has been a good blogging 11 years, been regularly irregular but still motivated to keep it going.
I first started with LiveJournal which was a good way to start, but soon moved to my own site on 22nd April 2004. I am happy to see that live journal is still live! Thank you LiveJournal for providing me a home
I was initially suggested Movable Type (MT), as that was the blogging standard then. But it wasn’t open source at that time but eventually did. But I decided to go with WordPress, which at that time was very limited as compared to Movable Type. But on hindsight was a good decision.
My first post, for those who are interested. While there are other older dated links, those were back dated entry added later to cover media coverages.
If you still aren’t blogging, I would suggest you do!
A few suggestions to first time bloggers:
- Decide where you want to host, there are many blogging sites. I would recommend WordPress.
- Decided if you want to have your own blog like www.yourdogsname.com or do you like yourdogsname.wordpress.com
- WordPress.com offers both the options to host your blog.
- I have chosen Dream Host as my blogging site because I can also host other content and sites on the same account, which is what I prefer. But if you only need a blog, then WordPress.com is a good choice.
- Be regular in your blogging, that’s how you would build your fan following.
- Focus on one topic, if its more than one, then they should be related. If you blog about cats and elephants, very few people would be interested in both. if you have more than one idea, would suggest have two different blogs.
- Social media is your friend, use your social network to publicise your blog posts. there are enough plugins for WordPress which can automatically post to your social network.
Thank you once again to all my readers, special thanks to those who take the time to comment. Happy blogging and happy reading!